Friday, May 27, 2011

Moving of Time

Time is a funny thing. When we want it to go faster...it ticks by at a snails pace. When we want it to slow down...it seems to speed by like on of those super sonic trains. I have tried for years to attempt to figure out how to make it slow down just a little bit. But no, it insists that it must move forward and as it does it takes with it my youth leaving me with memories. It snatches my children's sweet giggles and replaces it with whispers of a beat that comes from the earbud that keeps them from hearing me anymore. I have photographs that remind me of the wonderful moments that we shared. Although I know in my heart that there will be many more to come in our future, it does make me just a little sad for those moments that have gone before. So before I forget...let me share...
Years ago there was this little film called Dancing with Wolves...maybe you have heard of it. My Mike would watch it for hours, literally. It was like three hours long which back twenty years ago was unheard of. He would put on his cowboy hat and put his wooden gun by his side. Sometimes he would be the indian instead with his little indian outfit and bow and arrow. Regardless though he sat there watching...absorbing the detail. "Oo manna too tonka obwa chi" was a popular phrase in our home. Several years ago, Mike attempted on a regular basis to talk us into a horse.

"Where would we put it?" We would ask and he would assure us that he would figure it out.
Recently Mike got his dream job and I got an answer to my prayers. A friend of ours has recently opened a therapy with horses business where she works with people who have disabilities on horses. "hippotherapy" of sorts. She has barrel raced and done rodeos for years and has a little boy who has some struggles and she is a nurse, so it made sense. Well she gave my son an opportunity to come and work for her and he is in heaven. He puts on his cowboy hat and boots and goes to work. He talks about it non stop with this little light in his eye that I haven't seen since Dances with Wolves days:)

Alyssa graduated. For years, my daughter has seemed years older than her actual age. So I think because of her maturity, we were more prepared this time. She wanted to be done but with that moving forward comes the end of many things that I will be sad to see go. Golf will be one of them. She took her girls team to State 4A golf this year by scoring the low score at District in Blackfoot for the boys and the girls at 76. Although she didn't play as well at state as she thought she should, she tied for seventh overall. I will miss being able to walk amongst beautiful scenery in quiet solitude gazing at my beautiful daughter and she can't say a thing to me. I will miss that, a lot. But I see her dream and plan about the next steps in her life and hear the righteous desires and I can't help but be excited for the next chapter.

Jaxon turns twelve. That cute little brown boy has sprouted into a sleek, muscled young man who loves to help his dad. Tom needed some help this summer and offered it to Jaxon and Alyssa. Both grumbled but both are loving it. They love the sun and the money but most of all they love working with their dad. They adore him and I think the feeling is mutual. Jaxon has become quite the hard worker and thinks that getting paid is pretty cool.

Tom and I are spending our twenty sixth summer together. It is hard to believe that it has been that long and yet I can't imagine a time that we haven't been. . . well together. I love that he loves me for me and that he loves our children. I love that even though time moves forward we are doing it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment