Friday, July 10, 2009

Let's go Golfing!

For the past month we have lived golf. I wish I were kidding but almost literally it has been next to breathing the sport. Especially Alyssa, who has developed the most awesome tan to go along with her amazing drive. If we aren't playing it, we are watching someone else play it. I use the "we" term loosely because "I" don't really play. I go out and swing at the ball and occasionally it takes flight in one direction or another. While the other members of my family, grimace and attempt to encourage my futile efforts at pretending that I am really enjoying this ridiculous sport. I have however really enjoyed watching my children become successful at the game. Alyssa has travelled all over the state of Idaho to play (and I mean all over too) as well as learned to play really well in rain (something we have had plenty of). She has a beautiful,long drive and if she could figure out her short game, would be touring with the LPGA. As I have learned it is an extremely difficult game. Most day exhausting, frustrating, mind-boogling among other adjectives that come to mind.

One of the courses that Alyssa recently played was Shadow Valley in Boise. A couple of years ago, Mikael played there for the Special Olympics. His dad was amazed at how tremendously well he did and we were all really proud of him. Not until I walked the course with Alyssa did I realize what a truly amazing feat he had accomplished. This course is brutal and for anyone let alone a one handed golfer to go out and golf an 83. Needless to say, I think he needed more than just a gold metal.

Like last summer, I encouraged Jaxon (who is great at any sport he tries) to play golf. It's easier if we are doing "like" activities, I say and if you don't love, love baseball I just don't have the time. So I signed him up for golf and he goes out to play his first tournament and as he comes off a particuliarly, not so great round of golf, he says, "Mom, I have decided that I don't love, love golf - do I get to quit?" He has decided, that like his mother (only he is much better) golf is just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment